Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Here's a list of whitesox manager's known outbursts

• Thread starter Thread starter lartinos
  • Start date Start date
L

lartinos

The first one is the best. I wish ozzie managed the team I like.

Jay Mariotti
In June 2006, a long-simmering feud with Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti boiled over. Mariotti, who continues to refer to the White Sox manager as "The Blizzard of Oz", wrote a column criticizing Guillen, calling him "senseless and immature," for ordering rookie relief pitcher Sean Tracey to hit Texas Rangers batter Hank Blalock after the White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski was twice hit by pitches from the Rangers' Vicente Padilla.[3] Tracey failed to retaliate and Guillen pulled him from the game and berated him in the dugout, yelling in his face, and spiking a water bottle. Tracey was sent back to AAA the day after.

Guillen, upset that Mariotti hadn't interviewed him for the column said: "What a piece of shit he is, a fucking fag."[4] After he called Mariotti a fag, Guillen said that he didn't know what it meant in the US, and that in Venezuela it has to do with someone's courage. Guillen was fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball and ordered to attend sensitivity training. He at first said he wouldn't attend any classes, but later relented and attended them.

Guillen accepted his punishment, saying "I put Bud Selig in a spot he's not supposed to be."[5] Guillen also said, "If I hurt anybody with what I called him, I apologize, but I wasn't talking about those people. I was talking strictly about [Mariotti]. I will apologize to the people I offended because I should have used another word. Besides that, I'm still waiting for Jay. Why he's so afraid to show up to the ballpark? When you're afraid to do something, you feel guilty about something. Then tell him we'll pay his cab. Tell him to tell us where he lives, and we'll bring him to the ballpark and we'll have a conversation. But that's the way he is. He's garbage, still garbage, going to die as garbage. Period"[6]

Mariotti responded the following day on the ESPN television show Around the Horn, saying the issue was Guillen and not him.

Parts of Chicago's gay community declined to take offense at Guillen's remarks. Guillen's gay hairdresser publicly defended him in comments in the column of Chicago Sun-Times sportswriter Rick Telander. A gay bar, The Kit Kat Lounge and Supper Club, began offering the "Effen Ozzie GuillénTini"[1]. Guillen also made an appearance (which he claimed was scheduled prior to the remarks he made about Mariotti) at the Gay Games in Chicago.

[edit] St. Louis Cardinals
In a game vs. the Cardinals on June 20, 2006, in the middle of a 20-6 blowout in favor of the White Sox, White Sox reliever David Riske hit Cardinals batter Chris Duncan with a pitch. This was an apparent retaliation to actions of the Cardinals' pitcher Sidney Ponson, who hit two White Sox batters earlier in the game.[2] Duncan's father, St. Louis pitching coach Dave Duncan, felt it was intentional. Ozzie claimed he didn't know it was Duncan's son. He was suspended one game for it, and Riske was suspended 3 games for it.

[edit] Tampa Bay Devil Rays
In a game on August 29, 2006 White Sox pitcher Freddy Garcia hit Tampa Bay Devil Rays batter Delmon Young in his 1st MLB plate appearance. Young had thrown a bat at a minor league umpire and was suspended 50 games for it earlier in the year. After the game, Ozzie claimed he didn't order it, saying, "Even when I order my guys to hit batters, they don't."

[edit] Miguel Cabrera
When asked about the recent controversy surrounding the weight of then-Florida Marlins third baseman Miguel Cabrera.

Guillen responded "I'm a little upset with him. You're still young. You're going to keep getting bigger.' He knows he's got a problem. We talked about it." ... "When you're young and you're good, you can get away with a lot of stuff," Guillen said. "When you're getting older and you go down, they say you're fat. Right now it's, 'Oh, he's a little chubby. He likes to eat.' When you're not hitting .340 with 40 home runs, they're going to call you a fat boy from Venezuela. You'd better lose some weight."

Cabrera responded "If he says I have to lose weight, then maybe I do."

[edit] Phil Cuzzi
On April 7, 2008, Guillen was ejected by umpire Phil Cuzzi in a game against the Minnesota Twins. Two days later, Guillen said the following regarding Cuzzi:

"He doesn't like me, I don't like him. One reason is, if you don't like me as a man and what I do, I can respect that. But, if you don't like me and you're going to take it out on my players, you're wrong. That's unprofessional. I just let him know I don't like him the first day I see him, and I think he feels the same way about me. And we have to move on."[7]

[edit] Miguel Olivo
On August 3, White Sox reliever D.J. Carrasco hit Royals catcher Miguel Olivo in the fifth inning of a 14-3 blowout victory for Kansas City. This was the third of 3 straight high inside pitches, the 2nd pitch hit the bottom of Olivo's bat. (Also, Octavio Dotel had hit Olivo with a pitch in a previous meeting with the White Sox.) Olivo charged the mound, resulting in a bench-clearing brawl and an ejection for Carrasco. After the game, journalists criticized home plate umpire Tim Timmons for the decision, noting that Carrasco does not throw particularly fast pitches, the bases were loaded, and the Royals

Top Bottom