Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help Me Train for the USMC Boxing Team

Rex

I'm over in Okinawa for a year. Not much to do until N. Korea decides they want an ass kicking. Anyway. I decided I want to spend my new found free time training to get a spot on the Marine Corps' Boxing team.

My stats:

HT: 5'8"
WT: ~175
BF:~12%

My limitations:

-Fucked up work schedule as a sentry that has me only receiving an hour's worth of sleep some nights and up to 17 [I shit you not I've slept that long] other days.

-Chow hall food that isn't always healthy, especially the breakfast they serve. Schedule often does not allow me to get to the chow hall during time meals are served. Might be placed on com rats so I can buy my own food.

-Limited to a rice cooker to steam, boil vegetables, etc, and a microwave.

What I have available:

-Fully equipped gym w/ speed and heavy bags that has great hours (0500-2300)
-100m pool
-Track
-Hills...lots of hills
-Convenient store that has shit like a Wawa/711 would.
-GNC on base, and commissary [grocery store] at a different base.

Goals:

-195 lbs at 7% by March '04.
- 300 PFT [20 pull ups, 18min or better 3 mile run, and 100 crunches]
-Stronger punch and faster hands.

Any assistance is appreciated for training and diet. I'm open to hear all suggestions and input for I'm excited to start, but lost on what training/diet would be best for boxing.

Well, I'll touch on the boxing aspects...

Focus on form of your punches over trying to just smash the bag.

Focus on straight punches right down the middle.

The straight punch always gets there first. This is especially true when your opponent is swinging with wild hook punches. Take a step back and come right down the middle.

Practice for speed and accuracy and the power will naturally come.

Force yourself to always throw in combinations. My favorite which I practice all the time and comes quite naturally when banging is this:

Left jab, right cross, left hook followed by a right uppercut.

While your left jab is going out your right hand should be tight protecting your chin. When your right goes out your left should be tight protecting your chin, etc.

Once you let the combos fly take a step to the side and back from your opponent to assess the situation. Never stay in too long or you will get tagged.

Focus on a crisp snapping jab and use it! Do not just put the jab out there in a lazy fashion or your opponent will just come over top of it with a right hand and tag you.

Focus on the body. First, it can be devastating. Secondly, it will drop your opponents hands (he will try to protect his body) and then you can come upstairs to a wide open head shot. Another excellent combo is the left hook to the body to drop the opponents right hand then quickly come upstairs with a tight left hook to his head.

Never go straight back (that's why I said take a step to the side and back). When you are going straight back you cannot punch with any kind of power and your oponent can nail you with wide hook punches because he is not vulnerable (how can you hurt him when your going backwards?).

Cardio, cardio, cardio! Even the most conditions athletes when boxing with friends for fun realize quickly (after a few minutes) how demanding boxing can be. All other things being equal between you and your opponent if you have better endurance you will likely out hussle him.

Regarding diet, etc. you need to determine what weight class you are going to shoot for. I'm not sure of the cutoffs for the divisions but pick a class that you know you will be able to make the weight without killing yourself.

Reactions: Rex
Top Bottom