Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Golf question - hybrid clubs

mekannik

Scenario - great off the tee box with irons - hitting #3 about 190-200 in the air. My driver/3wood/5wood - suck off the tee, I need to get some help hitting them.

So in the meantime I figured a hybrid might give me a little more "oomph" off the tee to handle long par 4's and par 5's a little better. So I went out and bought a 18' hybrid utility iron (Cleveland). Hit it fine in the store, felt solid.

Went to the range today - as with any new club there is some adjustment period. Of the shots I hit (off the tee) when I hit the sweet spot (30-40% of the time) it was NICE! No vibration. Beautiful arc. 15-20 yards farther in the air with a good roll afterwards.

My questions:

1) What, if any, is the average gain - in yardage - of a hybrid compared to a comparable iron?

2) Should I need to tee the ball differently? For today at least - I raised the ball 1/4" compared to my 3 iron tee height. Is this common?

What I've found the biggest difference for some people is, is confidence when you're hitting. I hate hitting any wood but my driver or 3 wood. I still carry a 1 & 2 iron because that's how I learned. Far as teeing it up, play with it and see how you do. I've tried those clubs and did better teeing it up at the same height as my irons. Hit em' straight bro!

mekannik said:
My questions:

1) What, if any, is the average gain - in yardage - of a hybrid compared to a comparable iron?

2) Should I need to tee the ball differently? For today at least - I raised the ball 1/4" compared to my 3 iron tee height. Is this common?

1. I have tried them but rather use a long iron or da woods...
learn to hit a 3/5 wood off the tee. ? a driving iron or hybird will only get ya so far....woods are needed in the bag
ive tried several different brands and models. really learn to get off the tee with a wood...

2. for a iron, dont tee it as high.... there no correct way for how high to tee the ball... differs from person to person .....

why cant u hit a 3/5 wood off the tee? any idea what the problem is?

mekannik said:
Scenario - great off the tee box with irons - hitting #3 about 190-200 in the air. My driver/3wood/5wood - suck off the tee, I need to get some help hitting them.

So in the meantime I figured a hybrid might give me a little more "oomph" off the tee to handle long par 4's and par 5's a little better. So I went out and bought a 18' hybrid utility iron (Cleveland). Hit it fine in the store, felt solid.

Went to the range today - as with any new club there is some adjustment period. Of the shots I hit (off the tee) when I hit the sweet spot (30-40% of the time) it was NICE! No vibration. Beautiful arc. 15-20 yards farther in the air with a good roll afterwards.

My questions:

1) you should be able to hit it a little further due to the fact that there is more mass in the hybrid head compared to the iron of the same loft

2) you are supposed to tee it the same height you would tee up your long iron

people seem to hit the hybrids decent since the shaft length is shorter than a fairway wood

i suspect your biggest problem with your driver is that you are overswinging it since you can hit your hybrid well

hamstershaver said:
1) you should be able to hit it a little further due to the fact that there is more mass in the hybrid head compared to the iron of the same loft

2) you are supposed to tee it the same height you would tee up your long iron

people seem to hit the hybrids decent since the shaft length is shorter than a fairway wood

i suspect your biggest problem with your driver is that you are overswinging it since you can hit your hybrid well

I've tried a hybrid but just couldn't get used to the mallet looking head. Felt weird.

I tee my 1 iron way up to get some loft on it off the tee. Also, my 1 iron is about an inch longer than normal giving me extra distance. At times I would rather hit my 1 iron off the tee the entire round because I have so much confidence in it like jnevin said.

Problems with his driver might be form more than anything. What cured me from hacking a driver off the tee was the advice given to me from a pro.

I was picking the driver almost straight up from take away. He told me to keep my wrist and arms straight and drag the driver on the ground as long as possible from take away until I have no choice but to pick it off the ground and use my usual follow through.

First time I tried that I was amazed. Been doing that ever since but ocassionally I will hack one bad and that will remind to slow down and get back to fundamentals of the game.

HumorMe said:
I've tried a hybrid but just couldn't get used to the mallet looking head. Felt weird.

I think part of my problems hitting the woods is that there is a very visual difference between them and an iron. I agree (a little) with your sentiments about most hybrid clubs looking like mallets, but try the Ping's some time. They use the same weight distribution principle but with an open cavity back. Looks like an iron - hits like a bomb.

If I had the spare extra cash and knew most of my answers going in - most likely would have bought the Ping.

Tried a Dunlop too - but the graphite shaft ruined it for me. Way too much flexing. That is also a similar problem with the Cleveland - the steel shaft is not stiff enough.

BTW - all my other clubs have a 1" extension in them. (I am 6' 2") Definately gets a little more out of each club than normal.

mekannik said:
I think part of my problems hitting the woods is that there is a very visual difference between them and an iron. I agree (a little) with your sentiments about most hybrid clubs looking like mallets, but try the Ping's some time. They use the same weight distribution principle but with an open cavity back. Looks like an iron - hits like a bomb.

If I had the spare extra cash and knew most of my answers going in - most likely would have bought the Ping.

Tried a Dunlop too - but the graphite shaft ruined it for me. Way too much flexing. That is also a similar problem with the Cleveland - the steel shaft is not stiff enough.

BTW - all my other clubs have a 1" extension in them. (I am 6' 2") Definately gets a little more out of each club than normal.

I swing 1994 Callaway Big Bertha irons. Talk about a mind fuck when I first tried them. I love them now and I still use them everytime I play.

Top Bottom