Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gold Jumps to Record High [news item]

samoth

Gold and platinum jump to record highs

By JACKIE FARWELL, AP Business Writer
48 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Gold and platinum prices soared to record highs Friday after mine stoppages in South Africa, a leading producer of the precious metals, fed buying on supply concerns.

Several major mining companies, including AngloGold, Harmony and Gold Fields Ltd., suspended work at some of their mines because of a national electricity emergency. Other commodities joined the rally, with oil briefly jumping back above $91 a barrel.

South Africa is second only to China in world gold production, and is the globe's top producer of platinum. Mine equipment problems, accidents and maintenance have contributed to a production decline this year, however.

Mining operations in the country were suspended Friday on fears that power interruptions would trap workers underground. Gold Fields said it halted all of its South African operations, including in the world's largest gold mine, which produces 7,000 ounces per day.

"People will take this type of news and they look for direction," said Carlos Sanchez, an analyst with CPM Group in New York. "So this was bad for supply and many took that as a sign for, 'Let's buy precious metals.'"

An ounce of gold for February delivery spiked to $924.30, a fresh record, on the New York Mercantile Exchange before easing back to $912.30, up $6.50.

Still, when adjusted for inflation, gold remains well below its all-time highs in 1980. An ounce of gold at $925 then would be worth about $2,360 today.

April platinum peaked at a new high of $1,694.90 an ounce. Prices later retreated to $1,674, up $61.

Platinum prices have roughly doubled in four years, with global inventories growing tighter as automakers try to meet demand, particularly in Asia and Eastern Europe. Demand for the metal, used in jewelry and catalytic converters in automotive exhaust systems, has also surged due to stricter emissions standards.

March silver climbed 7.2 cents to $16.405 an ounce, while copper added 2.15 cents to $3.1930 a pound.

Investors also rushed to buy precious metals ahead of the Federal Reserve's two-day meeting beginning Jan. 29. The central bank is expected to cut interest rates again following Tuesday's emergency 0.75 percentage point cut.

Lower interest rates would likely undercut the U.S. dollar and boost metals prices. A weaker dollar makes dollar-denominated commodities more attractive to investors, especially overseas buyers.

The euro fell against the dollar Friday, fetching $1.4701.

Also, investors could view another rate cut as confirmation by the Fed that the staggering U.S. economy is in need of drastic reinforcement, adding to gold's appeal as a safe asset.

Rising oil prices further boosted gold, which investors turn to as a hedge against inflation.

Light, sweet crude for March delivery rose $1.82 to $91.23 on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Recent efforts by the Federal Reserve and Congress to jump-start the economy appeared to console oil investors who have worried that flagging growth would weaken demand for crude.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080125/ap_on_bi_ge/commodities_review;_ylt=AqclpJAPuiIEpPM1P8vFHXtvaA8F

:cow:

always good to be invested in gold and other precious metals. their value only grows. you can't make more of it. it is finite. all types of currencies can go down the shitter but gold and such will always be valued.

Damn I know a kid that invested in that shit months ago and the son of a bitch got rich, dosnt even need to work any more and is like 22. I gotta get me some damn gold like now

Top Bottom