Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fundamental decline in NBA/NCAA B-ball

trimtan1

Athleticism is a great virtue. And it seems that's all USA basketball is about anymore. Our pro team found that out in the lastest round of international basketball. And we got our butt kicked by some boys that know how to move the damn ball. Without all of the "flash". 58-0 was forever tarnished. Larry Brown's supposed to take care of it next time. We'll see.

I even see it in College, although it's not as apparent. I saw a guy dribbling for ILL or UNC last night that dribbled the ball unnecessarily between his legs from under his basket all the way to halfcourt. Then he dribbles another 30 seconds without a pass and chucks up a 3 pointer. Jesus.

Is it about looking good, or is it about winning as a team?

I'm watching VA play MSU, and on the commercial on ESPN they've got the new Playstation2 "Final Four 2003" being advertised. The whole commercial is composed of two homies talking trash to each other while blocking or slam dunking on one another.

Perfect example right there.

I hope that the cycle of "building up, falling down and building back up" is present in these amateur sports. They just have to reach a new low before cleaning up their act and getting back to the fundamentals.

Thanks for the post Jon. Since I'll be coaching youth b-ball here shortly, I've been making an extra effort to watch how offenses and defenses are being employed.

And it's been somewhat disappointing to watch the teams that are supposed to know how it's done.

Trim,

Great post brother. I have had many a conversations about this. Matttheskywalker has a lot to offer on the subject as well.

It is completely unbelievable that the game is lacking so much fundamentally. I am glad to see you will coaching a youth team. Instill those fundamentals and you will have done a big part.

I commend you.

Unfortunately it's the easier way to please the crowd. Dunk, have flash, show off, and you will get some attention if you succeed, so everyone tries. Less effort is put towards having a well oiled machine team that dominates. Duke is a team to watch to see good fundamentals usually. As well as Kansas. Lot's of great ball movement.

Slick,
your right baout Kansas. Roy Williams drills those guys to death. Look at any former KU player and ask yuorself if they are fundamntally sound? your right about Duke too.

Top Bottom