Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Baseball strike set for the 30th!!!

FreakMonster

I hope they strike. Fucking Greedy ass baseball players!!!!

Millionaire babies crying for more labor power and bigger contracts???????? I dont give a damn. I love baseball as much as any sport or whatever, but I will get my fill from minor league and college baseball and will go coach little league. To hell with the A.Rod's, the Jeter's, the Sosa's and YES the Piazza's of the world!

Strike(out) date: August 30

From staff and wire reports

The date is set: Aug. 30. Baseball players plan to shut down the game for the ninth time in the last 30 years if an agreement is not reached with the owners by that date, which opens the Labor Day weekend. The union's executive board held a 90-minute conference call today and did the expected, set a strike date.

Both the Associated Press and ESPN cite unnamed union sources for the Aug. 30 date.

Union leadership decided on the deadline last Monday, but delayed enacting it so as not to break the momentum of contract talks.

"I think Friday is a big day," Seattle pitcher Paul Abbott said on the eve of the conference call. "Setting a date should spark some negotiating."

Negotiators appeared to be making progress, but differences mounted over the issue of a payroll luxury tax that would restrain spending by high-payroll teams.

Optimism faded Wednesday, and the situation hadn't changed Thursday.

"We still face significant hurdles," Gene Orza, the union's No. 2 executive, said Thursday night after two sessions in the day accomplished nothing.

"It wasn't good today. They made another proposal that was fairly meaningless," said Atlanta's Tom Glavine, the National League player representative. "I think we're basically sitting back waiting for them to give us a serious offer. ... We made an offer to try to rein in the Yankees and maybe one or two others. Instead, they want to affect six or seven others immediately, and maybe six or seven more on the periphery. That's a salary cap."

"I've gone from as optimistic as I can be to as pessimistic as I can be," Braves player representative Mike Remlinger added. "It's back to just a flat out refusal to move."

Rob Manfred, management's chief negotiator, would not take reporters' calls Thursday.

"We're going to wait and see what the union does on Friday," spokesman Richard Levin said.

Although negotiations have gone better than they did when the World Series was wiped out in 1994, the scenario is similar to that year when the players struck on Aug. 12, 15 days after announcing the date July 28. Fifteen days also remain between Friday and the Aug. 30 date.

Important economic issues, such as revenue sharing and a worldwide amateur draft, remain on the table, but the controversial payroll tax, termed a competitive-balance tax by management, is the biggest hurdle.

Owners want to tax the amount of payrolls above $100 million by 50%. The union wants the threshold at $137 million, applicable to two or three teams.

Differences also remain on salary arbitration, drug testing and the owners' desire for a $45 million minimum payroll. Only Montreal and Tampa Bay are below that figure this season.

Players don't want to finish the season without a contract, convinced owners would lock them out or change work rules. The union prefers to have a late-season stoppage, when more of the owners' revenue is at stake, than a confrontation at the start of next season.

The Aug. 30 strike date means that if players walk out and the season is not completed, players would lose 16.9% of their base salaries. Texas shortstop Alex Rodriguez stands to lose the most, $3,557,377.05. A player at the $200,000 minimum would lose $33,879.78.

Last edited:
The whole thing stinks. :(

There needs to be a minimum payroll so the owners can't just pocket the money without at least trying to win.

The players need to realize that there is a limit to how much money owners can afford to pay them.

And finally the fans are the ones who will lose no matter what happens. If they do agree, the owners will use that as an excuse to raise prices. If they don't agree, the fans lose another post season.

YAY!!

Bye bye baseball.
You lost a third of your fans from the last strike, prepare to lose a third (or) more.

Now maybe I can watch something more exciting like golf or bowling during the summer time.

Code said:
YAY!!

Bye bye baseball.
You lost a third of your fans from the last strike, prepare to lose a third (or) more.

It's already having an impact. The Braves only had a little over 30,000 at their game tonight. Way down from a normal Friday night.

Top Bottom