Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5/19 MLB Philadelphia @ Washington 7:10PM EST

SLAYER69!

By MIKE VOTTA, STATS Senior Writer
10 hours, 16 minutes ago

Brett Myers’ transition back to Philadelphia’s starting rotation hasn’t been a smooth one so far.

Myers will be looking to rebound from his worst start of the season Monday as the Phillies open a three-game series with Washington at Nationals Park.

Myers (2-4, 5.91 ERA) spent most of last season as Philadelphia’s closer, earning 21 saves in 24 chances. However, he returned to the rotation this season after the Phillies (24-21) acquired closer Brad Lidge from Houston.

The move has yet to pay off, as Myers owns the worst ERA on Philadelphia’s staff. He was pounded for a career high-tying eight runs - six earned - in a season-low 4 1-3 innings of Wednesday’s 8-6 loss to Atlanta. The defeat dropped him to 0-3 with a 7.62 ERA over his last five starts.

“It’s frustrating. I’m not giving the team an opportunity to win,” Myers, who was booed as he left Wednesday’s game, told the Phillies’ official Web site. “I’m disappointed in myself. I’m disappointed in letting my teammates down and disappointed that the fans had to watch that.”

Myers is 7-7 with a 4.91 ERA in 27 appearances - 17 starts - against the Nationals franchise. He gave up four runs in five innings without getting a decision in the Phillies’ season-opening 11-6 home loss to Washington on March 31.

“I don’t know what we can do,” manager Charlie Manuel said. “Just send him out there and see how it goes.”

The Phillies, who are opening a seven-game road trip, are hoping Myers can help them bounce back after they dropped two of three against Toronto over the weekend. Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell homered Sunday, but Philadelphia lost 6-5.

Shortstop Jimmy Rollins went 2-for-3 with a double and two runs, and is hitting .524 (11-for-21) with five doubles, six runs and four RBIs over his last five games.

The Phillies will be up against a Nationals team coming off a 4-3 road trip - its first winning trip of at least seven games since June. Washington (19-26) got 7 1-3 strong innings from John Lannan on Sunday and beat Baltimore 2-1 for just its fourth win when scoring two or fewer runs.

“It was very important because you want to be in the W column as much as you can,” manager Manny Acta said. “We just keep battling and winning due to our good starting rotation and scratching on defense. Hopefully our offense comes alive. Then things will be a little easier for us.”

Acta’s club is opening a seven-game homestand. Washington is 10-11 at Nationals Park and was swept in three games by Florida in its last home series May 9-11.

Tim Redding (5-3, 3.55 ERA) will try to reverse the Nationals’ fortunes at home. He gave up one run in six innings of Wednesday’s 5-3 win over the New York Mets.

“He had great command of his fastball, and his curveball was very good,” Acta said. “In order to stay out there and hold those guys to one run and stay patient, it says a lot about him.”

Redding improved to 3-0 with a 2.37 ERA in three road starts, but is 2-3 with a 4.26 ERA in six starts in Washington.

The right-hander is 3-2 with a 2.68 ERA in seven starts against the Phillies, and threw seven innings in a 1-0 win in Philadelphia on April 2.

Top Bottom