Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5/15 MLB Rockies @ Diamondbacks 9:40PM EST Cook (6-1)vsWebb (8-0)

SLAYER69!

STATS LLC
It's been 36 years since a National League pitcher won more than 24 games in a season. Brandon Webb is a third of the way there, and he hasn't showed any signs of slowing down.

Webb, coming off a complete-game victory, looks for his ninth win in as many starts on Thursday as his Arizona Diamondbacks -- owners of the best record in baseball -- look to complete a three-game sweep of the reeling Colorado Rockies at Chase Field.

Arizona (25-15) owes a lot of its early-season success to an offense that's averaging 5 1/2 runs, up more than a run per game from last season. But the Diamondbacks wouldn't own a 4 1/2-game lead in the NL West -- the largest lead of any team in baseball -- without the pitching of Webb.

The 2006 NL Cy Young winner, Webb (8-0, 2.41 ERA) hasn't just given Arizona a chance to win every time he's pitched -- he's picked up the win himself. His longest outing of the season came in his latest start, as Webb went all nine innings of the Diamondbacks' 8-3 win over Philadelphia last Thursday.

He's the first NL pitcher to win his first eight starts since Pedro Martinez in 1997 with Montreal.

"To do that, you've got to have help, and I've had help from all aspects of our team," Webb told the team's official Web site. "I'm just going to try to keep it going as long as I can."

Five NL pitchers have won 24 games since 1972 -- including Arizona's Randy Johnson in 2002 -- but none have topped that mark. Webb, who's averaged 34 starts a year for the past four years, would seem to have a shot.

He'll start this game coming off an extra two days of rest because of an off day and a decision to scratch Johnson on Sunday due to weather concerns.

"It's going to be a little different," said Webb, who is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA against the Rockies (15-25) this season. "It doesn't happen too many times that I've gotten a week."

Arizona has beaten Colorado seven of eight times this season, and will be looking for its second sweep of the Rockies. The Diamondbacks pounded out 15 hits on Tuesday in an 8-4 win, then pulled out a tight 4-3 victory on Wednesday as closer Brandon Lyon earned his 10th straight save.

They hold a 10-game lead over the defending NL champion Rockies.

"We've got to see them about a hundred more times, so it's going to come down to the wire," said second baseman Orlando Hudson, who had two RBIs.

Webb may seem like an intimidating opponent, but nothing has fazed Aaron Cook (6-1, 2.26) lately. While Webb has won eight straight, Cook has earned a victory in his last six starts, beginning with a win over Arizona on April 13.

He outdueled another NL West ace in his last start, allowing one run and three hits over seven innings on Friday to beat Jake Peavy and San Diego 4-2.

"My mind-set is always the same when I get out there," Cook told the Rockies' official Web site. "That's why I've been able to have success this year. I don't really try and put pressure on myself."

Cook has been great, but the Rockies' offense, which a year ago was second in the NL in runs, has struggled. They're 13th in the league this season, and have put up just 10 runs in losing four straight.

"This season is a long season, and that's one thing to put in perspective and realize you can't play three months of baseball in one at-bat, one pitch or one play," right fielder Brad Hawpe said.

Top Bottom