Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5/15 MLB Padres @ Cubs 2:20PM EST

SLAYER69!

STATS LLC
Alfonso Soriano entered the Chicago Cubs' 10-game homestand struggling at Wrigley Field.

Since coming off the disabled list, he's quickly turning things around.

Soriano and the Cubs close out a four-game series with the San Diego Padres on Thursday, looking to take three of four.

The Cubs (24-16) have won five of the first six games in this homestand, including an 8-5 win over the Padres (15-26) on Wednesday. Kosuke Fukudome had three hits while Soriano and Geovany Soto each drove in three runs.

Soriano hit a solo home run in the first inning -- his third homer of this series and second leadoff homer in as many nights. He's hitting .478 (11-for-23) during the homestand after hitting just .067 in his first eight games at Wrigley and making a trip to the disabled list with a strained calf.

"I feel great. I'm swinging the bat really well," said Soriano, who was booed earlier in the homestand. "That's part of the game. It motivates me to try to make myself a better player."

San Diego had won three of its previous four following a five-game losing streak before Wednesday. Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi drove in three runs for the Padres in the loss.

The Cubs close the series against former teammate Greg Maddux (3-3, 3.60 ERA), who takes the mound Thursday for the Padres.

Maddux recorded his 350th career victory in his last start -- his fifth attempt at the milestone win -- by pitching six innings on Saturday against the Rockies, allowing an unearned run and three hits in the 3-2 win.

The 42-year-old right-hander acknowledges that this could be his final trip to Chicago. Maddux began his career with the Cubs, pitching with them from 1986-1992 and 2004-2006. He was traded to the Dodgers in July 2006

Maddux was non-committal on Wednesday when asked about being around to reach 400 wins.

"I'm not even thinking about it. I never look past my next start. I know I'm going to pitch Thursday here against the Cubbies and do what I can to get ready for that and move on," he said.

Maddux has faced the Cubs twice since leaving Chicago the second time. He is 1-0 with a 4.91 ERA in those two outings, both coming at Wrigley Field.

The right-hander is 12-3 with a 2.56 ERA in 22 career starts against the Cubs. He is 6-1 with a 2.32 ERA in 12 starts at Wrigley Field as a visitor.

The Cubs will counter with Ryan Dempster (4-1, 2.76). The right-hander is winless in his last two starts, but turned in a quality outing Saturday. He pitched six innings against Arizona, allowing two runs and three hits in Chicago's 7-2 win.

Dempster is 5-3 with a 4.35 ERA in eight starts and nine relief appearances against the Padres. This is his first start against them since 2005. As a starter, Dempster is 5-1 with a 4.26 ERA against San Diego.

Chicago expects to have the services of former Padre Jim Edmonds for this game. The Cubs signed the 37-year-old outfielder Wednesday after he was released by San Diego last week after hitting .178 (16-for-90) in 26 games.

"The game is full of history of people that a lot of people were willing to write off and they had a change of scenery and did well again," Hendry said of the eight-time Gold Glove winner and four-time All-Star. "Maybe it will give us a little extra that we didn't anticipate and give Jimmy a fair shot. ... He has to play well and he knows that."

Edmonds is hitting 10-for-38 (.263) with two homers against Maddux.

Top Bottom