Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

3/5 NBA Dallas @ New Orleans 8PM ET TNT

SLAYER69!

Dallas (37-24) at New Orleans (37-22)

The Dallas Mavericks responded to their owner’s public criticism by notching an impressive home victory over a division rival that’s ahead of them in the crowded Western Conference standings.

Mark Cuban would no doubt love to see his club do the same thing again on the road.

The Mavericks look to build on a home win over the Southwest Division leaders when they visit the streaking New Orleans Hornets in another divisional matchup Thursday night.

Dallas (37-24) is one of nine teams realistically fighting for eight spots in the West playoff picture, but the Mavericks didn’t look like contenders in a 96-87 loss at Oklahoma City on Monday night. They trailed by as much as 23, though the Thunder were playing without their top two scorers.

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said after the game that the team should be ashamed, but the harshest critique came from Cuban. The outspoken owner questioned his team’s effort and commitment, threatening to get rid of anyone he didn’t think was trying.

“I don’t care what their contract is,” Cuban said Tuesday. “I would rather turn over the roster 100 percent than subject fans to another game like last night.”

The Mavericks apparently got the message. Josh Howard had 29 points, Dirk Nowitzki had 24 points and 12 rebounds and Jason Kidd scored 17 with nine assists and seven rebounds in a thrilling 107-102 home win over division-leading San Antonio on Wednesday night.

Though they remained in eighth place in the West, the Mavericks pulled within two games of third-place Denver and earned Cuban’s praise.

“If we play hard every possession like we did tonight, we can beat a really good team,” Cuban said. “Now it’s up to the guys to keep on doing it. … I knew what we were capable of. We got leadership from Dirk and Josh and Jason Kidd. Everybody was really good. Now we’ve got to do this again and again.”

That could be a challenge in New Orleans, where the Mavericks were 0-5 last season, including three losses in a first-round playoff series won by the Hornets in five games. The Mavericks had won their previous 10 road games against the Hornets.

New Orleans (37-22) is one game ahead of Dallas in the fight for the postseason thanks to its season-high five-game winning streak.

All-Star forward David West did his part to keep that run alive Monday night, finishing with 30 points, 10 rebounds and five assists in a 98-91 win over Philadelphia.

“I’ve just been trying to go out and make the initiative,” said West, averaging 28.8 points and 10.4 boards during the streak. “I feel like if I play well, it gives us a better chance to win games.”

Hornets coach Byron Scott knows his team still has plenty of room for improvement, but he likes what he’s seen recently.

“We really haven’t played our best basketball in the last five games, but we just keep finding ways to win games,” Scott said. “I think we have some confidence in ourselves that when the game is on the line, we are able to get things done to win the game.”

The Hornets delivered when it counted in their only previous meeting with the Mavericks this season, outscoring them 25-18 in the fourth quarter to take a 104-97 road victory Jan. 14. Point guard Chris Paul had 33 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds and seven steals for his second consecutive triple-double against Dallas.

Jason Terry led Dallas with 28 points off the bench in that game. He had 17 points and six assists Wednesday, his third game back after an eight-game absence with a broken hand.

Top Bottom