Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

3/1 NBA Detroit Pistons @ Boston Celtics 1PM ET ABC

SLAYER69!

Detroit (28-29) at Boston (47-13)

Richard Hamilton has been a major weapon as the sixth man for the Detroit Pistons, but he was back in the starting lineup as they snapped a lengthy losing streak in their latest game.

The Boston Celtics, meanwhile, have a new threat off the bench.

Stephon Marbury looked good in his Boston debut, and Sunday afternoon he’ll try to help his new team finish off a four-game season sweep of the visiting Pistons, who will likely again be missing Allen Iverson.

The addition of Marbury to the Atlantic Division leaders had been rumored for weeks, but first the No. 4 pick from the 1996 draft had to agree to a buyout with the New York Knicks and clear waivers.

He was waived Tuesday and joined the Celtics (47-13) on Friday morning, and it didn’t take long for the two-time All-Star to make an impact. Marbury had eight points and two assists in 13 minutes Friday night, helping Boston beat Indiana 104-99 in its return home following a season-high six-game road trip.

“I think I was just so happy to be out there playing and happy to be out there playing with those guys,” said Marbury, who hadn’t played in 13 months. “I was tired but my legs were heavy. In the fourth quarter I found some energy.

“It went the way I was praying for it to go.”

The Celtics are hoping Marbury can give their bench, which is in the bottom third of the league in scoring, a boost. His performance Friday was particularly significant considering Kevin Garnett and Brian Scalabrine are out with injuries and Paul Pierce is dealing with a dislocated thumb on his shooting hand.

“I was really hesitant to get any contact going, for the simple fact that it came out twice last game,” Pierce said after finishing with 16 points. “But it’s something I’m going to have to get over mentally.”

The player with whom Marbury will be forever linked, though, made sure Pierce’s hesitancy wouldn’t be costly. Ray Allen, who was traded for Marbury immediately after Minnesota took him fifth overall in 1996, had 30 points and has averaged 26.0 on 58.9 percent shooting in his last four games.

The Pistons (28-29) on Friday were missing Iverson, the top pick of that same draft class, and his absence figured to be costly as they looked to avoid losing a ninth straight game.

Instead, Detroit looked better without its leading scorer, who coach Michael Curry was planning on benching in favor of Hamilton regardless of Iverson’s injury. Starting for the first time since Jan. 19, Hamilton had a game-high 31 points as the Pistons stunned Southeast Division-leading Orlando 93-85 on the road.

“It wasn’t something that I felt was added pressure because this is what I do,” Hamilton said of returning to his starting role. “This is my comfort zone. But it is what it is and we got a win and that was a great thing.”

Detroit went 4-12 with Hamilton coming off the bench.

Iverson returned to Detroit after hurting his back Tuesday at Miami and then aggravating the injury the next night in New Orleans. Curry said he isn’t expected to play Sunday.

The Pistons figure to need as much help as they can get if they’re going to beat Boston. They’ve shot 39.2 percent and haven’t topped 80 points in losing their first three games to the Celtics by an average of 12.7.

Hamilton has especially struggled against Boston, which is second in the league in scoring defense (92.1). He’s averaged 9.7 points and shot 33.3 percent after scoring 22.0 in Detroit’s Eastern Conference finals loss to the Celtics last spring.

Top Bottom