Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

2 greatest Dodgers "at bats": Gibson vs. Cora

SoreArms

Kirk Gibsons' pinch at bat against Dennis Eckersley, in game one of the 1988 world series, is probably the best "at-bat" in Dodgers history. The man came out to the plate limping and looked defeated the entire time, as he swang fiercely at the air and fell down after a miss. Then, CLANG!

That was one of the most exciting moments in baseball that I had ever experienced and it set the tone for the rest of the series.

Alex Cora's at bat on Wednesday night against Matt Clement was also impressive. With a 2-2 count, Cora fouled off 14 consecutive pitches before hitting pitch #18 for a homerun. This thing got exciting to watch after about the 5th foul and it built up after each consecutive foul. I totally expected him to strike out or at best, get a hit. He had a 2 ball count, Clement could have thrown him something outside to see if you would swing at it, instead he kept coming at him with strikes.

Peronally, I think Gibsons' wins because of the importance of that game. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
bro comon, you cant really be comparing one of the greatest moments in baseball history with a good at bat in a regular season meaningless game. I love the Dodgers and Cora is the man but seriously did his HR even make the sportscenter highlights?

Yes, it did make the Sport Center High lights.

"It's the greatest at-bat I've seen in my life," said coach Manny Mota, and that comment should have some impact.

Cora said he enjoyed watching SportsCenter highlights of his at-bat for the ages. And he enjoyed the reaction of teammates.

"When people like Robin Ventura tell you it's one of the best at-bats they've ever seen, that means a lot," said Cora.

Hitting coach Tim Wallach said it's hard to imagine how an at-bat like that can unfold.

"The funny thing about it, once you're into the at-bat, it's hard not to swing once there's two strikes," said Wallach. "That's as good as I've ever seen."

There's no question that Gibsons at bat had a bigger impact because of the importance of that game, but Cora's at bat was also a very exciting moment to witness.

Top Bottom