Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

2/19 NBA Boston Celtics @ Utah Jazz 10:30Pm ET TNT

SLAYER69!

Boston (44-11) at Utah (31-23)

The Boston Celtics begin the second half of their season in a tight battle for home-court advantage throughout the playoffs, but it was their recent play on the road that gave them the best record in the Eastern Conference at the All-Star break.

In the midst of six straight games away from home, the defending NBA champions will try to win their 10th consecutive road game Thursday night against the Utah Jazz, whose 37-4 home record last season included a loss to the Celtics.

While Boston (44-11) dropped home games to the Los Angeles Lakers and San Antonio earlier this month, the Celtics have been as steady as ever on the road since dropping six of seven outside of the TD Banknorth Garden from Dec. 25-Jan. 9.

Their nine straight road wins - one shy of their season best - were capped by victories on back-to-back nights at New Orleans and Dallas last Wednesday and Thursday, including a 99-92 win over the Mavericks in which they erased a 15-point third-quarter deficit.

Paul Pierce scored 18 of his 31 points against Dallas in the fourth quarter, including many on a similar step-back jumper that the Mavs couldn’t defend.

“I got in my rhythm,” Pierce said. “We had a play that was working. I got into my sweet spot and took the shots.”

The Celtics’ road trip was interrupted by a stop in Phoenix at Sunday night’s All-Star game for Pierce and teammates Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, but coach Doc Rivers’ club still will visit Phoenix, Denver and the Los Angeles Clippers on its current trip.

Though it holds a slim lead over Cleveland and Orlando in the East, Boston’s biggest problem appears to be its bench.

Especially with reserve guard Tony Allen out for the next eight weeks following thumb surgery, the team may add some outside help before Thursday’s trade deadline, and Charlotte guard Raja Bell is one player the Celtics reportedly have asked about.

“I think we have the pieces necessary to win another championship,” Pierce said. “Teams are always looking to improve. If there is a way to do it, they will do it. If not, I think we are still one of the best teams in the NBA.”

The Jazz (31-23) don’t fit into that category in the midst of an injury-riddled season.

But while forward Carlos Boozer remains out and center Mehmet Okur missed Tuesday night’s 117-99 win over Memphis due to illness, Andrei Kirilenko returned from an 11-game absence due to an ankle injury and scored 14 points as Utah won for the fifth time in the last six games.

“He made a big steal and then on the other end had a big basket and then blocked a couple of shots,” Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. “That was something that we missed with him. When he’s not around we still have to try and win and we had to win tonight with Mehmet out.”

C.J. Miles scored a game-high 24 points for Utah, while point guard Deron Williams continued his hot streak with 20 points and 15 assists. Williams is averaging 30.8 points and 9.5 assists in his last six games, shooting 56.5 percent from the field over that span.

Despite sitting in eighth place in the West, the Jazz still have a 22-6 home record and a five-game winning streak in Salt Lake City. Five of their six homes losses have been to teams from the East.

Their 37-4 mark at EnergySolutions Arena last season was the NBA’s best home mark, but that didn’t stop the Celtics from posting a 104-98 win on Dec. 29, 2007. Boston will be looking to sweep the season series for the first time since 2005-06 after a 100-91 home win on Dec. 15.

Top Bottom