Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

12/31 NFL Denver @ San Diego

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
S

Spartacus

San Diego vs. Denver in AFC West battle

Denver can extend its win streak to 4 games Saturday, while the host Chargers will be looking to snap it.

Denver brings a 12-3 overall mark (4-1 in the division) into this game versus a San Diego team carrying a 9-6 record.

The Chargers (9-5-1 ATS) opened as 7-point favorites and they host a Broncos team that has covered 10 of their 15 games this season. The total opened at 44.

Last time out, the Broncos defeated Oakland 22-3 as 12.5-point favorites. That contest went under the closing total.

Marty Schottenheimer's troops were at Kansas City last game and came away with a 20-7 loss, a game that went under 50. Oddsmakers had them as 1-point underdogs in that one.

Fans can expect Denver to try to force the ball down the throats of the Chargers' run defence. They come in with the league's #2 rushing attack, averaging 158.8 yards per contest.

It it were a Oakland/Denver game I'd bet, just because of how much Shanahan hates Davis. If Denver had already clinched before last week, they'd still ram it down Oakland's throat just to spite Al.

Entering Week 16, the Denver Broncos' regular-season finale with the San Diego Chargers had serious playoff implications.

Not anymore.

Their playoff fates sealed, the AFC West rivals meet for the second time this Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium.

Denver clinched the AFC West title with a win over Oakland last Saturday, while San Diego was eliminated from the playoff picture earlier in the day after a loss to Kansas City.

The victory, combined with a defeat by the Cincinnati Bengals, also locked up the No. 2 seed in the postseason and a first-round bye for the Broncos, who posted a perfect home record for the fifth time in franchise history.

Following the game with the Chargers, the Broncos won't play again until mid-January, when they host their first postseason game since John Elway led them to a second straight Super Bowl win in 1998.

Coach Mike Shanahan welcomes the chance to be able to rest some of his starters before the playoffs.

``I think everybody knows what a bye is worth,'' Shanahan said. ``If you do have a bye and you win two games, you are in the Super Bowl. It is pretty basic math. To have the opportunity we have is a great one. Now we have to go back to work so we can take advantage of that opportunity.''

The Broncos earned the opportunity thanks to a convincing 22-3 win over the Raiders to sweep the season series.

Denver outgained Oakland 414-248 in total yards and held the ball for over 38 minutes.

Mike Anderson rushed for 46 yards and one touchdown to surpass the 1,000-yard mark for the second time in his career. However, he sprained his ankle and will be held out against the Chargers, along with linebacker Al Wilson, cornerback Darrent Williams and defensive end Courtney Brown.

``I'm thinking that if it was a playoff game this weekend, (Anderson) would probably be able to play, but I dont think he would be 100 percent, so we're going to rest him up,'' Shanahan said.

Running back Tatum Bell should make his first NFL start in Anderson's place. Bell is just 131 rushing yards from 1,000, which would make the Broncos the fourth team in NFL history and first since the 1985 Cleveland Browns to possess two 1,000-yard rushers.

With Bell likely to carry the load in the backfield, backup quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt may see the majority of the snaps in place of Jake Plummer. Van Pelt, a local favorite from Colorado State who has been on the field for just four plays as a rookie, scored a touchdown on a quarterback draw in Week 13 against the Chiefs.

``I think in the past three months, I've gotten a lot calmer,'' Van Pelt said. ``I felt a little more in tune with the offense. The preseason is a long time ago. I was really nervous back then. I've calmed down now.''

One year removed from finishing 12-4 and winning the AFC West, the Chargers will miss the playoffs for the ninth time in 10 seasons following a 20-7 loss to the Chiefs.

San Diego, however, can return the favor by knocking Kansas City out of the playoff hunt with a win.

``Obviously, were all disappointed at the events of the last couple of days,'' said Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, whose team started 3-4 and has gone 6-2 since. ``I for one am particularly disappointed.''

Pro Bowl running back LaDainian Tomlinson was held to 49 yards on 15 carries by the Chiefs' 28th-ranked defense, and the Chargers hurt themselves by racking up seven penalties and turning the ball over twice.

``I don't know that we've played as poorly in a game in the last couple of years as we did (on Saturday),'' Schottenheimer added. ``We're going to look at it and we're going to see what we can do to improve for this week.''

Drew Brees completed 18 of 33 passes for 161 yards, hitting Antonio Gates with an 18-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter for San Diego's only score. Gates' touchdown was his 10th, tops among tight ends. He also led all tight ends with 13 touchdowns last season.

The Broncos hold a 51-39-1 edge in the series against the Chargers, but have lost three of the last four in San Diego and are just 17-28 all-time there.

"One year removed from finishing 12-4 and winning the AFC West, the Chargers will miss the playoffs for the ninth time in 10 seasons following a 20-7 loss to the Chiefs.

San Diego, however, can return the favor by knocking Kansas City out of the playoff hunt with a win."

Top Bottom