Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

12/3 NCAABB Purdue @ #11 Xavier - 3PM ESPNU

SLAYER69!

While Xavier’s Mark Lyons and Tu Holloway may not garner as much national attention as some of the other marquee names in college basketball, they’re certainly looking like one of the better backcourt duos in the country.

Hoping to extend their best start in three seasons, the 11th-ranked Musketeers try for a fourth consecutive victory over visiting Purdue on Saturday.

Xavier (5-0) is enjoying its best start since opening 9-0 in 2008-09 thanks largely to Lyons and Holloway, who are averaging 18.0 and 17.3 points, respectively. Both came up clutch during Monday’s 82-70 overtime win at No. 20 Vanderbilt.

The Musketeers trailed by as many as 10 in the second half but scored the final four points in regulation, including Lyons’ game-tying jumper with 6.5 seconds remaining. Holloway then recorded 10 of his 24 points in overtime to help Xavier pull away.

“It’s all cause of my backcourt main man, Tu Holloway,” said Lyons, who finished with 19 points. “I love him because of the way he plays. (He’s) a killer on the court, and he won the game for us in overtime.”

Purdue (7-1), which was able to contain Miami’s versatile guard combo of Malcolm Grant and Durand Scott during Tuesday’s 76-65 victory, knows it’ll have its hands full again with Lyons and Holloway.

“We had 30 minutes in the locker room to celebrate the win tonight, and now we have to move on to the next game,” said reserve guard Terone Johnson, who posted a career-high 13 points. “We just played the best guards we’ve played yet, and now we have to go out and attack the guards we play next because they’re going to be the best guards we play again.”

The Boilermakers, who took a 12-point lead into halftime and never looked back, shot a season-best 55.3 percent.

While Purdue is averaging 78.6 points, its recent defensive efforts are hard to ignore. Since falling to then-No. 16 Alabama 65-56 on Nov. 20, the Boilermakers have held opponents to 53.0 points and 33.3 percent shooting in winning three straight.

“In practice, you get tired of hearing about it,” said fifth-year senior Robbie Hummel, whose average of 19.0 points ranks among the best in the Big Ten. “That’s where it all starts … we have to help this team be better on defense.

“Teams in the past have set a high standard, so we need to keep improving to live up to that—and if we do, I think we’ll be pretty tough to beat.”

Purdue is excited about its first true road game and playing in front of what should be an energized crowd at the Cintas Center. Xavier has won 42 of 43 at home, taking 12 in a row by an average of 14.9 points.

“It’s gonna be a real good game, a real good test for us,” Boilermakers guard Anthony Johnson said. “I think if we come prepared and focused we can compete with anybody in the country, so we’re looking forward to the test. I think we look forward to every game, no matter if it’s on the road or at home … we take every game one step at a time and this is the next step.”

Purdue holds a 9-4 advantage in the series, and the teams haven’t met since Xavier won 85-78 in the second round of the 2008 NCAA tournament.

Top Bottom