Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

12/3 1-AA Playoffs RD2 Furman @ Richmond

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
S

Spartacus

For Hampton, Colgate, Lafayette, Georgia Southern, Nicholls State, Montana, Eastern Illinois and Eastern Washington, it was a heartbreaking end to the season.

Probably no where witnessed as much disappointment as Hampton, where the home team came in undefeated and ready to prove it was worthy of the No. 3 seed.

But the Pirates made too many mistakes on offense and special teams and missed out on chances to build a decent lead in the first half. Instead, Hampton let Richmond escape with a 10-10 tie.

In the second half, King Tutt — Richmond quarterback Stacy Tutt — emerged from the shadows and took over the game. Once Tutt and tailback Timothy Hightower got the Spider offense in gear over the final 30 minutes, Hampton's run-oriented attack didn't have the firepower to keep pace in a 38-10 loss. Most telling was Alonzo Coleman and Ardell Daniels carrying a combined 20 times for 46 yards.

Richmond will host Furman in the quarterfinals next Saturday. The Paladins, one of I-AA's highest-scoring teams, used an unfamiliar concept to beat Nicholls State, 14-12, Saturday afternoon at home — defense.

Furman, which has been scorched by running teams all season, held Nicholls State's potent spread option to 199 yards and limited the Colonels to one touchdown.

On offense, the Paladins did just enough to win. Ingle Martin threw a 29-yard touchdown pass late in the first half to give Furman a 7-6 lead and snuck over from the one in the third period to make it 14-6.

Yale Vannoy pulled NSU to within two points when he completed a fourth and three pass to Kenley Horton into a 22-yard touchdown late in the third quarter. The Colonels failed to convert a two-point conversion and Furman's defense, led by linebackers William Freeman and Andrew Jones, made that skimpy advantage hold up the rest of the way.

Richmond is giving up less than 5 points per game in the second half the last 5 games or so. Spiders and the points!

4everhung said:
have I established the wrong favorite?

No Furman has to be the favorite. I just like the way Richmond played d last week. CN8 had the Furman game on my cable system last week and they couldn't move the ball at all. I listened to the Richmond game on the internet and they played a great D. Richmond is going into uncharted waters, this is only there second trip to the second round and have never made it to the 3rd round.

From the i-aa.org webstie:
No. 3 Furman (10-2) at No. 12 Richmond (9-3)
Time: 6:00 p.m. EST.
TV: ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, CN8, CSS.
Series: Richmond leads, 15-9.
Richmond scored 31 unanswered points to defeat Hampton on Sat., 38-10, for the program’s first I-AA playoff victory since a 10-3 win over Youngstown State in 2000. The Spiders have outscored their opponents by a 136-48 margin in the second half during its current eight-game winning streak, the program’s longest since 1998. UR is 5-1 at home this season. Richmond leads the Atlantic 10 with 40 sacks, including a league-leading 11.5 by sophomore DE Sherman Logan, the 2005 A-10 Defensive Rookie of the Year. The Spiders are yielding an average of 11.2 points over its last five contests. UR sophomore RB Tim Hightower has scored at least one rushing touchdown in six consecutive games. Richmond senior QB Stacy Tutt is averaging 12.9 carries and 277.7 yards of total offense per game since moving under center prior to the Spiders’ third game of the season. Furman edged Nicholls State, 14-12, on Sat. in the opening round of the I-AA playoffs. Marks Furman's sixth playoff appearance in the last seven years and 14th appearance overall. four different Paladins have rushed for more than 500 yards this season, with sophomore FB Jeromre Felton leading the team in rushing (743) and touchdowns (16). Furman dropped a 14-13 decision to James Madison in the quarterfinals of the 2004 playoffs.

Top Bottom