Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

12/3 1-AA Playoffs RD2 Cal Poly @ Texas State

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
S

Spartacus

n another matchup between teams from Southern Conference and the Southland Conference, No. 4 seed Texas State charged back from a 35-16 deficit late in the third quarter to score 34 unanswered points and win 50-35.

Barrick Nealy completed 23-of-32 passes for 400 yards and ran 12 times for 126 yards to almost single-handedly dominate Georgia Southern. It was the second year in a row that the Eagles had let a big lead slip away in a first-round playoff game.

GSU quarterback Jayson Foster carried 21 times for 151 yards and hit 3-of-5 passes for 135 yards and two TDs, but his numbers were dwarfed by Nealy, who also fired four scoring strikes.

Texas State, which was playing in its first-ever I-AA playoff game against the preeminent program in I-AA (Georgia Southern has six I-AA national championships), will host an even more surprising winner, Cal Poly.

The Mustangs looked like a team that could challenge for the national championship behind an awesome defense and an improving offense until a mid-season loss at Montana. Not only did Lex Hilliard run for more than 200 yards that day on the vaunted Cal Poly defense, but quarterback Anthony Garnett suffered a season-ending knee injury in the final seconds of the game.

But Cal Poly had a chance at redemption Saturday at Washington-Grizzly Stadium and the Mustangs didn't let a second opportunity slip away, winning 35-21. Cal Poly kept Hilliard in check with 94 yards on 20 carries and the Montana passing attack couldn't take up the slack.

Chris Gocong, the likely Buchanan Award winner, had three of seven Cal Poly sacks as the Mustangs held freshman quarterback Cole Bergquist to 13-of-24 passing for 167 yards. James Noble was the offensive hero for the Mustang, gaining 186 yards rushing and scoring four times on an eye-popping 41 carries.

4everhung said:
this one is on ESPN2
2 cst

It says 3cst on the web site. I will have to think on this one. I can't believe Cal Poly went into Montana and won, Texas St needed to come from behind against Georgia Southern.

I liked what I saw from Texas St. I'm not too sure Cal Poly can pull off back to back road upsets. Texas St minus the points.

From the i-aa.org website:
No. 4/No. 4 Seed Texas State (10-2) vs. No. 10 Cal Poly (9-3)
Time: 3:00 p.m. CST.
TV: ESPN2.
Series: Cal Poly leads 1-0.
Texas State entered the tournament as the No. 4 seed and opened with a come-from-behind 50-35 win over Georgia Southern last weekend. The Bobcats trailed 35-16 with 4:30 left in the third period before making the turnaround. After scoring a touchdown to cut it to 35-23 with 1:13 left in the third, Texas State went on to outscore GSU 27-0 in the fourth quarter to score the game’s last 34 points. The win last weekend was Texas State’s first NCAA I-AA Playoff appearance. Texas State and Cal Poly played last year for the first time. CPSU took a 38-21 win at home when quarterback Anthony Garnett completed 11-of-15 passes for 326 yards and four touchdowns. Darrell Jones caught six passes for 145 yards and a score. Cal Poly racked up 578 yards of total offense while holding Texas State to 381. Last week, Texas State quarterback Barrick Nealy completed four touchdown passes, accounted for a schoolrecord 526 yards of total offense and became Texas State's alltime passing leader. Redshirt freshman running back James Noble rushed for 188 yards and four touchdowns while senior defensive end Chris Gocong recorded three of Cal Poly’s seven sacks as the No. 10-ranked Mustangs defeated No. 9 Montana, 35-21, on the road in the opening round. After scoring 50 points last week, Texas State now ranks No. 6 in the nation with 38.9 points per game. Cal Poly has won four in a row and has allowed just 13.7 points per game over the last three. Cal Poly ranks No. 7 nationally against the run, allowing 104.0 yards per game. Offensively, James Noble ranks fourth nationally with 149.3 rushing yards per game for the Mustangs. Texas State has won eight of its last nine games with the only loss during that span being an overtime setback at Nicholls State. The Bobcats enter having won four in a row. QB Barrick Nealy now ranks second in the Southland Conference with 80.0 yards rushing per game and is third in passing average at 203.6 ypg. His 283.6 yards of total offense per game ranks second in the league. Markee White caught a career-high 10 passes for 157 yards last week for the Bobcats. Justin Williams also hit the century mark with 106 yards on three catches. Dameon Williams caught only three balls for Texas State in the win, but each went for touchdowns (31, 26, 11 yards). On the first play from scrimmage last week, Barrick Nealy took off for a 76-yard run, being tackled at the GSU four. Nealy ended the game with 126 yards rushing.

Top Bottom