Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

11/13 NASCAR Nextel Cup Checkers Auto Parts 500

redguru

Thirty four down and two to go.

The NEXTEL Cup season continues to race toward the season's finish line with only two more stops left on the 2006 schedule.

A return trip to Phoenix International Raceway is on the calendar this weekend for the NEXTEL Cup Series, just one of three races scheduled for the one mile track.

Tony Stewart brings his 38 point lead over Jimmie Johnson into Sunday's Checker Auto Parts 500 with Carl Edwards lurking in third only 77 behind.

Stewart will have to put his 33rd place finish at PIR last April behind him in order to maintain his lead in the next to last race of the season. Johnson was 15th there in April while Edwards came home seventh.

While all eyes will be on the "Chasers," Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will look for his third straight November Phoenix win and steal the spotlight from the championship contenders.

I am posting this up with the pre-qualifying odds to possibly generate more interest if there are some surprises during qualifying.

Kurt Busch cited for reckless driving in Arizona
November 13, 2005

By Bruce Martin SportsTicker Contributing Editor

AVONDALE, Arizona (Ticker) - Defending NASCAR Nextel Cup champion Kurt Busch was cited for "erratic driving" with the suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol in Maricopa County on Friday.

According to lieutenant Paul Chagolla, Busch was pulled over at approximately 8:20 p.m. local time Friday after trying to avoid another car and running a stop sign near Phoenix International Raceway. An officer on the scene noticed the smell of alcohol on Busch's breath and asked him to take a field sobriety test, which was refused.

ADVERTISEMENT
"As a result of the roadside investigation, the deputy did take Mr. Busch into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol," Chagolla said.

According to Chagolla, Busch was driving about 60 miles per hour in a 45-mph zone. A deputy tried to pull Busch over but he did not immediately adhere to the officer's warning. When he did stop, Busch was argumentative and uncooperative, prompting the the deputy to call for a supervisor.

Police officers then prohibited Busch from operating the motor vehicle before driving him to a mobile unit at Phoenix International Raceway, where they attempted to give him a breathalizer test. However, the device malfunctioned.

"This is Maricopa County and our streets are not to be used as raceways," sheriff Joe Arpaio said. "He ought to confine his speeding to the racetrack. And I don't like anybody being abusive to my deputies, I don't care who they are."

Busch, who is eighth in the standings with two races remaining in the season - and in his tenure with Roush Racing, officially has been charged with reckless driving and ordered to appear at Tolleson Justice Court in Tolleson, Arizona on December 22.

Late Saturday, Busch issued a statement regarding the incident.

"I regret the incident that occurred near the Phoenix International Raceway Friday evening where I received a traffic citation," Busch said. "It is important to understand that this citation is not alcohol related. I want to apologize to the Maricopa County Sheriff's department for my actions."

Busch, who will drive the No. 2 Dodge Charger for Penske Racing South next season, was summoned to the NASCAR trailer early Saturday morning to discuss the incident with NASCAR president Mike Helton, according to sources.

If Busch had been charged with an alcohol-related offense, it would have been complicated by the fact that one of his sponsors at Roush Racing is Crown Royal. Next year, he will compete in a car sponsored by Miller Brewing.

Jack Roush, Busch's current team owner, said he is glad the driver is "not my problem" next season after learning of the incident Saturday morning.

Top Bottom