Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

10/6 2007 Rugby World Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
S

Spartacus

Rugby Union -International (Rugby Union)6 October, 2007 Outright Winner 2007 World Cup

World Cup - Backy: England can beat Aussies
Eurosport - Mon, 01 Oct 16:24:00 2007
Eurosport's rugby expert Neil Back believes England have a chance in their World Cup quarter-final against Australia, but they must get their basics right and improve their kicking game.

More StoriesRead Jonah Lomu's latest blog
After all of their problems in the past month, it was great to see England win again last week.

They got the job done against Tonga, it was another improved performance and you could tell they had more spring in their step.

England have now won two games back to back for the first time since the 2004 Six Nations and that can only give them confidence.

I thought England showed much better control against Tonga than they did in their three previous games.

What pleased me most was that they did not go chasing the game when they went behind to an early Tonga score.

They stayed calm and this was evident when Jonny Wilkinson chose to kick across field for Paul Sackey's opening try, rather than opting for goal. To me, that showed that Jonny's head was in the right place.

However, we should also keep in mind that they probably would not have scored that try in the Premiership because the teams now practice defending against such a kick.

We must also acknowledge that to beat Australia, England will have to up their performance again. In particular, they must look after the ball and minimize errors.

It's easy to say but obviously much harder to put into practice.

I think England can win their set piece ball at the scrums and line-outs against the Wallabies, but they must get their basics right.

They must also improve their kicking game. Australia are a much better kicking side than Tonga and England's kicking must be spot on otherwise they will be punished.

If they go for touch then they must find touch; if they kick deep then the ball must bounce behind the Aussie defence. They must not allow Australia to counter from deep because they have some very dangerous runners.

Key to England's chances of victory will be how they cope with the threat of the Wallabies' openside George Smith.

When I was playing for England we had a strategy just for George. It involved taking him out before he had the chance to reach the breakdown, where as we all know he is very effective.

He was targeted and cleaned out so he never made it to the breakdown and this therefore nullified his impact. We went for George and not the ball, and it was not just the number seven who had responsibility for this: it was the job of the whole team

England's forwards coach John Wells will know how we used to cope with George and so do a number of the players in the England pack, so I hope they adopt something similar on Saturday.

But the Wallabies have a number of other forwards who are very useful at the breakdown so England's &lsquocounter-rucking' has got to improve.

This is an area of the game where I think the southern hemisphere sides have moved way ahead of the European teams.

Referees have become very sharp at the breakdown and when they shout &lsquoruck' players must release the ball immediately.

So teams are now encouraging their players to drive past the ball at the breakdown as this alters the perceived offside line.

Argentina and the All Blacks do this very well, so did Tonga against England last week.

Counter-rucking can be very effective after a good tackle, when the defensive line is going forward. Players can pour through as the team with the ball have to return through the &lsquogate'.

It can also be effective when the opposition have few men over the ball, or when their body position is high.

This is an area of the game we are putting a lot of emphasis on at Leicester and I hope England get a better grip of it on Saturday.

England have a chance against Australia and I am much more upbeat than I was a couple of weeks ago.

There will be much more pressure on Australia than England. They are the clear favourites and they will also be looking to make amends for what happened in the final four years ago.

I think the side that makes the least number of errors will win.

I read today that my old rival from Wales Martyn Williams has retired from international rugby. I got to know Martyn very well as an opponent and as a team-mate on the 2001 and 2005 British Lions tours.

We probably disliked each other a lot on the field, but I always admired him as a player. On the Lions tours and it was always a challenge knowing that a player of his quality was competing for your place.

Martyn is a top guy and was a great colleague to have with the Lions. He can be very proud of what he's achieved on the international stage.

As for Leicester, well we managed to sneak another win at the weekend to keep our 100 per cent record intact. But we face Gloucester on Saturday and they have so far been the form team of the Premiership.

They have also won all their games, collected a couple of bonus points and also scored lots of tries.

But we have several players returning from the World Cup who could be available and as the game is at Welford Road we are confident we can continue our winning start to the season.

Eurosport

when I was in ukraine this past week
on the satelite TV in my apartment the rugby world cup dominated the sports news

Top Bottom