Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

01/10 NHL: Red Wings at Hurricanes, Parlay winner and O/U

redguru

Red Wings-Hurricanes Preview

GAME: Detroit Red Wings (28-11-3) at Carolina Hurricanes (27-10-4).

TIME: Tuesday, 7 p.m. EST.

Cory Stillman has won a Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning. He wants to make sure his new team will get a chance to do the same.

Stillman will try to extend his points streak to 12 games and help the Carolina Hurricanes post a rare win over the Detroit Red Wings when the teams meet at the RBC Center.

Carolina is just 1-7-1 in its last nine games against Detroit.

Since being held off the scoresheet on Dec. 13 in a 5-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks, Stillman has reeled off seven goals and 12 assists in an 11-game run.

Carolina is 8-1-2 during Stillman's streak and its 12-point lead over Tampa Bay is the largest of any of the six division leaders.

Stillman, who signed with Carolina after the lockout ended, had two four-game point streaks and a six-game run earlier this season. He scored one of Carolina's two power-play goals and Martin Gerber made 30 saves as the Hurricanes swept a home-and-home series from the New York Islanders Saturday with a 3-0 win.

"I think that most of my points come because the team is playing well," Stillman said. "What also helps is that here in Carolina, we play the same style of offense as I did in Tampa Bay.

It's an aggressive offense with puck pressure, so I feel like I fit right in here."

Stillman also is picking up the slack for leading scorer Eric Staal, who has just one assist in six games.

Detroit is looking for answers after a disheartening 6-3 loss Sunday to Dallas, ending a nine-game unbeaten streak against the Stars.

The Red Wings took a 3-0 lead 92 seconds into the second period, the Stars struck back with three goals to tie. Goaltender Chris Osgood then gave up three more goals in a 2:27 span early in the third as Detroit lost to the Stars for the first time since Jan. 16, 2002.

"I don't know what happened," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "We lost our composure and turned the puck over and just couldn't get settled down again."

The loss, though, was only Detroit's second in nine games. The Red Wings continue to the lead the Western Conference with 59 points and holds a four-point lead over the second-place Nashville Predators in the Central Division.

Babcock may go back to Manny Legace in net after he stopped all nine shots he faced in relief of Osgood against Dallas

It was Legace's third appearance after missing more than a month with knee injury. In two starts since returning Jan. 5, Legace stopped 44 of 45 shots while recording wins over the St. Louis Blues and Nashville.

Legace is 2-1-1 with a 2.41 goals-against average in four appearances, including three starts, against the 'Canes.

STANDINGS (through Jan. 9): Red Wings - 59 points, 1st place, Central Division. Hurricanes - 58 points, 1st place, Southeast Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Red Wings - Brendan Shanahan, 20 goals; Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom, 31 assists; Datsyuk, 47 points; Chris Chelios, 66 PIM. Hurricanes - Staal, 26 goals and 52 points; Stillman, 30 assists; Mike Commodore, 80 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through Jan. 9): Red Wings - Power play: 25 percent (61 for 244), 1st in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.3 percent (204 for 242), tied for 8th. Hurricanes - Power play: 19.3 percent (53 for 274), 7th. Penalty killing: 80.7 percent (184 for 228), 21st.

GOALTENDERS: Red Wings - Legace (15-4-0, 3 SO, 2.02 GAA); Osgood (12-5-3, 0, 3.01). Hurricanes - Gerber (20-7-2, 3, 2.70); Cam Ward (7-3-2, 0, 3.79).

2003-04 SEASON SERIES: Red Wings, 1-0-1.

LAST MEETING: Jan. 31, 2004; 4-4. At Detroit, Tomas Holmstrom scored twice in a three-goal third period as the Wings rallied.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Red Wings - 14-4-2 on the road; Hurricanes - 17-4-1 at home.

— Associated Press

Top Bottom