Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

IGF-1 & diabetes?

LT3

Ok ive asked this numerous times in the ana board but never got an answer. heres my question: does igf-1 affect slin levels/resistance/sensitivity in any way. ive heard it makes you more sensitive to slin and ive heard that it just looks like slin in its formulation but has nothing to do with slin. so what is it? also if igf-1 made you more slin sensitive, wouldnt pharmacies already be trying to use it to reverse or treat diabetes?
thanx in advance for the responses.

LT3 said:
Ok ive asked this numerous times in the ana board but never got an answer. heres my question: does igf-1 affect slin levels/resistance/sensitivity in any way. ive heard it makes you more sensitive to slin and ive heard that it just looks like slin in its formulation but has nothing to do with slin. so what is it? also if igf-1 made you more slin sensitive, wouldnt pharmacies already be trying to use it to reverse or treat diabetes?
thanx in advance for the responses.

Yes, it does affect it, and it has been used somewhat in assisting the treatment of diabetes. I'll cover this in detail when I have more time...

Insulin-like growth factor-I (lGF-l): safety and efficacy.

Laron Z.
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2004 Nov;2 Suppl 1:78-85.

Endocrinology and Diabetes Research Unit, Schneider Children's Medical Center, WHO Collaborating Center for the Study of Diabetes in Youth, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel. [email protected]

Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) is a peptide synthesized mainly in the liver by stimulation by pituitary growth hormone (GH). It circulates almost entirely bound to its binding proteins. It is the anabolic effector hormone of GH. It is the only treatment in states of GH resistance such as Laron syndrome and blocking antibodies to human GH. As it suppresses insulin and GH secretion it has been used in states of insulin resistance including Type II diabetes mellitus. IGF-I is administered by once or twice daily injections. Adverse effects are mostly caused by overdosage. The usual daily dose in children ranges from 100-200 microg/kg.

Publication Status: ppublish
PMID: 16456486 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Reactions: LT3
so bro, how come gh, the precursor of igf-1 make u more slin resistant. and igf-1 make u more sensitive. i dont get it. also how much more sensitive to slin do u become from it?

LT3 said:
so bro, how come gh, the precursor of igf-1 make u more slin resistant. and igf-1 make u more sensitive. i dont get it. also how much more sensitive to slin do u become from it?

I'm going to post a couple of articles from scientific journals that explain the inter-relationships between GH, Insulin, and IGF-1. They do a better job of explaining it than I probably would...

Here's the first:

http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/113/1/25

This one is a bit longer... The relevant information is in the discussion section, starting at the bottom of page 5. This article is quite a bit more in-depth. I don't know how detailed you want me to get, or maybe you are just looking for a general explanation... Let me know.

Abstract:

High-dose GH administration is commonly associated with impaired insulin sensitivity (SI) in humans. Paradoxically we have shown that low-dose GH (1.7 µg/kg·d) administration enhances ß-cell function in young healthy adults. In the present double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study, we explored the physiological effects of this low GH dose on glucose metabolism in 12 young healthy adults (seven males, 19–29 yr). At pretreatment and after each 14-d treatment block, overnight metabolic profiles were assessed followed by a hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp, whereas fasting blood samples were collected weekly.

In subjects treated with GH first (group A, n = 6), GH treatment increased total IGF-I (P < 0.05) and IGF binding protein-3 (P < 0.01) after 7 d, but these levels subsequently returned to pretreatment levels after 14 d. In contrast, free IGF-I increased (P < 0.05), and overnight GH pulse peak amplitude decreased (P < 0.01) after 14 d. In subjects treated with placebo first (group B, n = 6), all biochemical parameters were unchanged after placebo treatment, whereas the changes in free and total IGF-I were similar to those of group A after GH treatment. Combined clamp data from both groups A and B (n = 12) showed that 14-d GH treatment decreased overnight plasma insulin levels (P < 0.02) and hepatic glucose appearance (P < 0.05) and increased SI (P < 0.01). Of note, the GH-induced changes in SI positively correlated with the changes in free IGF-I (r = 0.72, P < 0.01).

In conclusion, low-dose GH administration enhanced SI and suppressed endogenous peak GH release, and we hypothesize that these effects are the direct result of increased serum levels of free IGF-I.

Article:

http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/113/1/25

LT3 said:

Essentially, IGF-1 and Insulin act similarily. IGF-1 makes you more sensitive to insulin because it is doing a couple of things... 1. it binds to insulin receptor sites and mimics insulin, although in a very low percentage (~5%). 2. It is likely that IGF-1 binds to receptor proteins that would normally bind to the insulin, allowing the free insulin to become more bioavailable. 3. IGF-1 binds to other types of insulin receptor sites (modified, hybrid, etc.) that insulin is less likely to bind to, again giving the effect of a "higher sensitivity". (Exact mechanisms are not truly known for sure, these are just my speculations)

An excess of GH reduces secretion of insulin. It doesn't necessarily make you more resistant, it makes it so that significantly less insulin is available. Interestingly enough, an excess of Insulin restricts GH secretion.

It seems that the role of IGF-1 is to regulate the balance of GH and insulin.

Essentially, IGF-1 and Insulin act similarily. IGF-1 makes you more sensitive to insulin because it is doing a couple of things... 1. it binds to insulin receptor sites and mimics insulin, although in a very low percentage (~5%). 2. It is likely that IGF-1 binds to receptor proteins that would normally bind to the insulin, allowing the free insulin to become more bioavailable. 3. IGF-1 binds to other types of insulin receptor sites (modified, hybrid, etc.) that insulin is less likely to bind to, again giving the effect of a "higher sensitivity". (Exact mechanisms are not truly known for sure, these are just my speculations)

An excess of GH reduces secretion of insulin. It doesn't necessarily make you more resistant, it makes it so that significantly less insulin is available. Interestingly enough, an excess of Insulin restricts GH secretion.

It seems that the role of IGF-1 is to regulate the balance of GH and insulin.

Thank u. thats exactly the info i was looking for. from the info u've given me, i have one question, how much (%) does excess slin restict gh sectretion? meaning if one was to run AAS and slin, but no GH, would one notice the effects of restricted gh secretion?

LT3 said:
Thank u. thats exactly the info i was looking for. from the info u've given me, i have one question, how much (%) does excess slin restict gh sectretion? meaning if one was to run AAS and slin, but no GH, would one notice the effects of restricted gh secretion?

The exact percentage is going to vary from person to person, as we each have our own metabolic rates and hormone level profiles. The effects of the AAS would easily counter any reduction in endogenous GH.

In other words, you wouldn't notice it at all.

The exact percentage is going to vary from person to person, as we each have our own metabolic rates and hormone level profiles. The effects of the AAS would easily counter any reduction in endogenous GH.

In other words, you wouldn't notice it at all.

Gotcha. thanx a lot bro.

I'm type 1 diabetic so do not produce insulin have to take shots and hgh does make you more resistant to iinsulin Have to take 2 to 2.5 times more insulin for same nutrients! One way it does this is by blocking insulin receptors on fat cells which have high amount of receptors bc they are your storage cells, that's one reason bodybuiders on high doses of hgh can take all that insulin without getting insanely fat! High insulin without hgh will make u very fat!

Top Bottom