Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Clen and Lexapro or other anti-deprensents?

browncloud said:
Anyone use clen while on anti-depresent? Just wondering if it worked for you or if anyone had bad side effects?

SSRI's (the type of anti-depressant Lexapro is) have a relatively low drug-interaction issues (read you prescription insert). It's most likely not going to be a problem. I'm not on any anti-depressants right now but all the SSRI's I've taken have caused weight (fat) gain which was a horrible side-effect and certainly didn't contribute to anti-depressant/anxitey (which were virtually non-exsistant). It only exhuberrated the problem. As you can probably tell I'm not a fan of modern anti-depressants and I appologize if this seems like a pessimistic post, but you should keep in mind this is only my experience and everyone is different.

Well, other anti-depressants is quite a stretch - they might target different neural receptors and exrt their therapeutic actions via various pathways.

But, Lexapro, is known to be a very selective SSRI with almost no affinity to binding to other neural receptor sites (dopamine, gaba) and adrenal (alpha, beta) receptor sites - therefore given that Clen is a direct beta2-agonist you should have no problem. But don't assume all other anit-depressants are quite the same.

Generally, anti-depressants are known for bodyweight fluctuations (loss, gain), rapid onset of fatigue during activity, etc etc - just some of side-effects you might experience....or not :)

Re: Clen and Lexapro or other anti-depressants?

juve said:
Well, other anti-depressants is quite a stretch - they might target different neural receptors and exrt their therapeutic actions via various pathways.

But, Lexapro, is known to be a very selective SSRI with almost no affinity to binding to other neural receptor sites (dopamine, gaba) and adrenal (alpha, beta) receptor sites - therefore given that Clen is a direct beta2-agonist you should have no problem. But don't assume all other anit-depressants are quite the same.

Generally, anti-depressants are known for bodyweight fluctuations (loss, gain), rapid onset of fatigue during activity, etc etc - just some of side-effects you might experience....or not :)
oh, juve....
I love it when talk all scientific! MEOW! :chomp:

also: Ultram (generic: tramadol) is also a possible antidepressant,
as well as an effective pain-relief component:
http://opioids.com/tramadol/tramadol.html
:ryanh:

Last edited:
I may be wrong but are you having difficulties with weight loss due to an SSRI?

The following is an old post of mine in regards to weight loss problems with SSRI's and a more effective way to go about solving the issue by understanding the underlying factors:

I believe this definitely has something to do with things. I have worked with various people during my days as a personal trainer and strength and conditioning coach. I have never had a client not make their goal or deadline in regards to weight loss or performance. I had about 5 cases where no matter what changes we made to their diet and training program, the person would not lose weight and sometimes to my amazement, actually gained weight.

Finally, after reflecting on our sessions, I decided to review their medical history questionares. 3 of them had listed using SSRI's and the other 2 said that they were not on any medication. I always felt one of them was somewhat mentally unstable so I pulled her aside on day and bluffed her by saying "Why did you lie to me on your Medical History Questionare?" She folded and came clean. The other one openly admitted to it when I asked her and originally thought that it was really not a big deal to mention something like that.

Moving on, I was baffled by this phenomenon and started compliling as much data as I could on the condition. I learned quite a bit from those studies and was able to form a hypothesis about SSRI's and the associated weight gain or difficulties in weight loss. Obviously, Effexor is not an SSRI. The weight related problems are not as severe but may still be related in some way.

A reocurring piece of data in those studies was the neuroendocrine system and a fat cell derrived hormone called Leptin. Leptin reduces the uptake of food and increases energy expenditure. The alteration of Leptin has been shown to directly cause weight gain for certain people using an SSRI.

Adipocyte plays a major role in Leptin regulation. Unfortunately, this is not something you can supplement. Therefore I took deeper look in to the origins and metabolism of Adipocyte and found that Essential Fatty Acids directly regulate Adipocyte and Leptin. Essential Fatty Acids are the precursors (comes before, or needed to make) for both Adipocyte and Leptin.

We started using an OMEGA 3 (EPA/DHA) supplement at 2,400 mgs daily. Slowly, we worked out way up to 7,200 mgs daily over the course of two to three weeks. The results were quite impressive. Four out of the five clients experienced an average weight loss of about 15 lbs and only one of the clients did not lose weight. I should also note that the supplementation of the EFA's stopped her from gaining anymore weight. Unfortunately, she became discouraged and quit.

Jenetic

Interesting. I speak to a lot of people that are currently taking (or have in the past) SSRI's, SNRI's (like Effexor), and MAOIs. Many have gained weight. In the past I've been on about a dozen different anti-depressants including SSRIs, SNRIs, and MAOIs. I went from 8% body fat to near 25% despite diet and daily exercise rather rapidly. I've been off all ADs for a while now and still struggle with my metabolism.

Jenetic said:
I may be wrong but are you having difficulties with weight loss due to an SSRI?

The following is an old post of mine in regards to weight loss problems with SSRI's and a more effective way to go about solving the issue by understanding the underlying factors:

I believe this definitely has something to do with things. I have worked with various people during my days as a personal trainer and strength and conditioning coach. I have never had a client not make their goal or deadline in regards to weight loss or performance. I had about 5 cases where no matter what changes we made to their diet and training program, the person would not lose weight and sometimes to my amazement, actually gained weight.

Finally, after reflecting on our sessions, I decided to review their medical history questionares. 3 of them had listed using SSRI's and the other 2 said that they were not on any medication. I always felt one of them was somewhat mentally unstable so I pulled her aside on day and bluffed her by saying "Why did you lie to me on your Medical History Questionare?" She folded and came clean. The other one openly admitted to it when I asked her and originally thought that it was really not a big deal to mention something like that.

Moving on, I was baffled by this phenomenon and started compliling as much data as I could on the condition. I learned quite a bit from those studies and was able to form a hypothesis about SSRI's and the associated weight gain or difficulties in weight loss. Obviously, Effexor is not an SSRI. The weight related problems are not as severe but may still be related in some way.

A reocurring piece of data in those studies was the neuroendocrine system and a fat cell derrived hormone called Leptin. Leptin reduces the uptake of food and increases energy expenditure. The alteration of Leptin has been shown to directly cause weight gain for certain people using an SSRI.

Adipocyte plays a major role in Leptin regulation. Unfortunately, this is not something you can supplement. Therefore I took deeper look in to the origins and metabolism of Adipocyte and found that Essential Fatty Acids directly regulate Adipocyte and Leptin. Essential Fatty Acids are the precursors (comes before, or needed to make) for both Adipocyte and Leptin.

We started using an OMEGA 3 (EPA/DHA) supplement at 2,400 mgs daily. Slowly, we worked out way up to 7,200 mgs daily over the course of two to three weeks. The results were quite impressive. Four out of the five clients experienced an average weight loss of about 15 lbs and only one of the clients did not lose weight. I should also note that the supplementation of the EFA's stopped her from gaining anymore weight. Unfortunately, she became discouraged and quit.

Jenetic

Top Bottom