Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Military press or behind the neck press?

wutangnomo

Which ones do you all feel work best for you? I like both, however, I have a slight preference for behind the neck presses because with militaries to the front it is too easy to arch your back. With b.t.n.p. I feel more able to isolate the delts better.

Your thoughts and opinions?

The actual angle of presses to the front and back will yield little difference, given your form is good of course. I love behind the neck and have done them for years. At this point however, I feel that the added benefit I once thought behind the necks had is NOT worth the added stress your rotator is put in. I have gravitated towards presses to the front and dbl presses only. My shoulders have grown and grown from these w/out injury in the area.

I always to front presses w/ a back support to prevent or minimize arching. If your arching that much, your going too heavy. Peace

I like front presses with a camber bar, makes the movement move vertical and I feel no porblem in my shoulder that way. very hadr though so drop the weighta little but man it works wonders for delts

MR.DUMBELL said:
i hate bheind the head press

I used to like them...as a beginner. When you're 14 years old and have 70 lbs. on the bar, though, few things hurt like they will when you've got to move triple that.

I definitely don't see any real benefits to BNPs over regular militaries or seated front presses, and lots of potential negatives. They could be a decent change of pace, but I see more reason to avoid them than anything else.

Try using dumbells. You might have to 'swing' them up into position, but they are best for range of motion and not getting messing around with your neck.

Synpax said:
Try using dumbells. You might have to 'swing' them up into position, but they are best for range of motion and not getting messing around with your neck.

DBs are definitely a good option. I seem to recall that they elicited the most front delt activation in MRIs, even more than Arnold Presses (?).

The only thing I don't really like about DBs is that it's hard to move the weights up real slow, but that's nothing Platemates won't cure :)

For me standard military press rules over BNP.

Hang clean / military press combo rules more.

Cannot blame military press for arching the back.

That is an improper exercise form issue.

Plus.... added benefit of standard military press is when you reach failure using strict form you have the option of push pressing 2 or 3 more reps out........

Top Bottom