Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sucralose (Splenda) Side Effects

the-short-one

EF VIP
This info was copied from the site www.something-fishy.org. The link to the info is http://www.something-fishy.org/dangers/sugarfat.php

Sucralose (Splenda)

Sucralose is an artificial sweetener made from sugar -- it is a chlorinated sucrose derivative. Though considered "safer" than aspartame or saccharin by many, it is thought that there have not been enough long-term studies done on this product, and many believe it may be just as hazardous as some of it's competitors.

Research in animals has shown the following side effects: chest pains, irritability, confusion, fatigue, shrunken thymus gland, enlarged liver and kidneys, reduced growth rate, decreased red blood cell count, hyperplasia of pelvis, miscarraige, decreased fetal body weights, changes in mood, and diarrhea.

There are NO long-term studies on the effects of Sucralose consumption.

Oh and might I add, an article published by 'something-fishy' hardly seems scholarly to me.

Now, if the New England Journal of Medicine put out something, i'd certainly listen to what it had to say.

Here are a couple more links:

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

http://hills.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jinouy01/danger/sweetener-sucralose.html

But you may be missing my point. Sucralose has no long term OR independent studies. Only studies done have been by the FDA or the company that makes SPLENDA. The FDA doesn't exactly have a perfect track record for product safety. (Saccharine was "safe" for a long time. Cigarettes were "harmless" for years.)

Moderation is key, but NATURAL is best.

Sucralose: (Splenda brand) Sucralose is the result of the replacement of the hydroxyl molecule groups with chlorine in sucrose (refined sugar). Pros: Sucralose provides a calorie free sweet taste to foods, and may help decrease the incidence of tooth decay. Studies so far show no health risks associated with sucralose. Cons: The FDA only approved sucralose for use as a food additive in 1998. Long term health effects of consumption of sucralose are not currently known.
Stevia: Stevia, or stevioside, is derived from the leaves of a South American shrub, a member of the daisy family. Pros: Stevia provides a calorie free sweet taste to foods, and may help decrease the incidence of tooth decay. Many who hesitate to consume artificial food additives may prefer stevia because it is all natural. Cons: Stevia may interact with diabetes and high blood pressure medications, and is not determined safe for use by pregnant/nursing women or children. Stevia is not approved in the US , Canada , or the European Union as a food additive because not enough is known about its safety. In the US, stevia may only be sold as a dietary supplement. Stevia may also have unpleasant side effects including dizziness, headache, muscle tenderness and gastrointestinal discomfort. More research needs to be conducted to determine the safety of stevia.

the-short-one said:
Here are a couple more links:

http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

http://hills.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jinouy01/danger/sweetener-sucralose.html

But you may be missing my point. Sucralose has no long term OR independent studies. Only studies done have been by the FDA or the company that makes SPLENDA. The FDA doesn't exactly have a perfect track record for product safety. (Saccharine was "safe" for a long time. Cigarettes were "harmless" for years.)

Moderation is key, but NATURAL is best.

Yeah, I am aware that their are no longterm studies. It hasn't been out long enough, but I am willing to take my chances. Hahah.

I do agree, moderation is key, and natural is best. Its kinda like water is better than diet soda hahaha.

psychedout said:
Yeah, I am aware that their are no longterm studies. It hasn't been out long enough, but I am willing to take my chances. Hahah.

I do agree, moderation is key, and natural is best. Its kinda like water is better than diet soda hahaha.

exactly - and don't get me wrong; I put some Splenda in my tea this morning. :D

My problem is that people think "WOW! I can eat as much as I want! It doesn't have any calories. YEAH!" So they suck up everything from "Sugar Free Ice Cream to Sugar free Cookies and still pack the pounds on.

Actually - I think stevis IS better for you. I just copied that little blurb as an afterthought because you'd requested it. I had a couple of stevia plants in my garden last year and always added a few leaves to my tea. I didn't have any luck drying it, though - it got moly on me one day when I wasn't looking. :)

Stevia is a plant, ie. NATURAL - and I agree with you totally.

Yup, I use Splenda & Aspartame products.....

I've seen studies blasting both & promoting both..... Saccharin was said to cause cancer, now they found it doesn't......... I don't think anyone has really any clue whatso-ever, really..... and if they did know, but the product was marketable enough & made enough money, they'd never tell us anyway....

Top Bottom